Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Vanilla Lavender Oatmeal

Photo and recipe courtesy of Healthy Slow Cooking
Perhaps this is just a futile attempt to push Spring along, but I seem to be on some kind of bizarre lavender kick. In any case, I can't wait to try this!

This recipe uses a smaller slow cooker that’s 1-1/2 to 2 quarts and makes 2-3 servings.

1/2 cup steel-cut oats (they have a gluten-free one as well)
2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon culinary lavender (food grade)
1 – 2 tablespoons sweetener (vanilla sugar would be lovely)

Vanilla Creme Topping (optional)
3 tablespoons vanilla coconut yogurt mixed with the paste scraped out of 1/2 vanilla bean

The night before: Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later. Add oats, milk, lavender and vanilla extracts. Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).

In the morning: Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency. Stir in sweetener. Top each serving with the vanilla creme topping. It will add sweetness and extra vanilla flavor. What a delicious way to start the day!

NOTE: whilst fresh lavender always looks lovely in a photo, personally I don't recommend it as an edible garnish. The flavor is a little too fresh and can taste a bit "soapy" if it doesn't have time to marinate a bit.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, it's my first time to hear that you can put lavender into meals! Before this, I only heard that you can put rose into it! Nice job!
    For more interesting vegan recipes, check at:
    http://www.fourgreensteps.com/community/recipes
    Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THis is awesome! I love using lavender in the kitchen. Some people think it's wierd...not me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually just found a whole book on cooking with lavender. Nothing weird about deliciousness =) Thanks so much for your comments - nice to know someone is reading besides my mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you use other milks? Rice or soy? I wasn't sure if these were ok in the slow cooker overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I believe you can use rice or soy but I haven't actually tried it myself. I'm not so good at planning ahead so I usually use rice and/or soy milk (depending on which I have handy at the time) to just make the same oatmeal on the stovetop. Just use a little less milk, 1 cup to every 1/2 cup of oats. If you do try the rice or soy in the slow cooker let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Yaaaay! I love comments =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...