Monday, January 24, 2011

Larry's Sunday Buckwheat Pancakes


Yay! Mom is getting on board - look what SHE made me for breakfast yesterday!

She found this recipe in her new favorite book, Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn (yes! the same one from Forks Over Knives) and wouldn't you know: it's from Larry & Ann Wheat who own the famous vegan Millennium Restaurant in San Francisco.

I love how small the world can be.

Enjoy!

Larry's Sunday Buckwheat Pancakes
makes 12 medium pancakes

1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 ripe banana
2 tablespoons vinegar
3 tablespoons maple syrup (optional)
2 cups oat, almond or non-fat soy milk

Mix buckwheat flour, outs, cornmeal, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl. Mash the banana in another bowl and add vinegar, maple syrup and milk. Stir and add to the flour mixture.

Heat a nonstick pan on medium high. When water sizzles on the pan, it's ready! Pour out the pancakes and cook until bubbles form. Flip and cook for a few minutes on the other side.

Enjoy them plain, with maple syrup or fruit.

Note: If you like thicker pancakes, use less milk.

Bonus: You can also make these into muffins! Just add raisins and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Haven't tried this yet but if anyone does please let me know how they turn out!

5 comments:

  1. yumm I'm going to try this recipe for sure! Sounds delish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did I go wrong? My pancakes were a disaster! They looked so ugly, it was almost comical. Even after I added 1/4 cup flour and they looked more like proper pancakes, the oats were raw. I must be missing something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I'm going to guess the oats are the culprit and the milk is probably a co-conspirator. Using quick-cooking oats should take care of the raw oat problem. Might also be responsible for the consistency issues as the quick-cook oats should absorb more of the milk. It's also possible that the consistency of the milk varies depending on whether you use nut or soy milk, non-fat or full-fat, etc. I find that most soy milk tends to have a little more substance than nut or rice milk. Add the milk gradually so you can control the consistency of your batter. You can also try using a tablespoon instead of a teaspoon of baking powder to thicken it further.

    Hope that helps - they're really yummy so worth trying again. Let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reduced the milk to 1 1/4 cup and it worked better. More milk could be added if needed. Also I substituted 1/2 cup cooked quinoa for the cornmeal and it worked really well and gives it some protein. I did not add the maple syrup, instead opting to add fresh blueberries. I tried the original recipe as muffins (minus the syrup) and the result was pretty bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I followed the recipe for my first attempt and using my favorite pancake pan (non-stick with fairly massive bottom to retain heat) the pancakes burned on the bottom before they got firm enough to get a plastic spatula under. They would push into a heap unless I let them get past browned, then I could flip them. I turned the heat down to between medium and low, cooled the pan with some water and I could cook them slower, which would give the middle time to cook. However 10 min for each pan of three pancakes is not acceptable rate of output. I used almond milk.

    The pancakes need to get stiff sooner, either from cooking through or perhaps having less liquid. But, they are a nice thickness, I wouldn't want them too much thicker so they don't spread.

    I think I will try them with less almond milk and maybe a tablespoon of coconut oil to help them not stick to the non stick pan. This pan works great with our old wheat germ recipie. I hope I can figure out how to make this recipe work.

    ReplyDelete

Yaaaay! I love comments =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...